|date_range Date(s)|| 13th and 14th January 2018
14th and 15th April 2018
14th and 15th July 2018
|location_city Venue||Education Centre, Christie Hospital, Manchester|
|Course Fee||Normal Course Fee: £585.00
RCSEd Affiliate Members: £550.00
Previous Key Skills Course Attendees: £527.00
|Closing Date||Places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis and therefore we are unable to provide a precise closing date.|
|event_seat No of Places Available||20|
Junior Trainees pursuing a career in surgery are expected to be able to perform a range of basic surgical skills prior to commencing specialty surgical training. These skills are not specifically covered during their foundation or core training placements.
Aims & Objectives:The Basic Surgical Skills course has been running since 1994, with the involvement of all four UK and Ireland Colleges of Surgeons, and is designed to teach the essential basic technical skills required of a surgeon, instilling good practice at the early stages of training.
Participants are introduced to the principles underpinning the various techniques with individual tuition and under the expert supervision of consultant surgeons. Participants are assessed throughout the course and issues with a certificate upon successful completion.
Learning Style:The course is held over two days with a series of demonstrations and extensive hands on sessions. Techniques are practiced using a combination of prepared animal tissue, synthetic models and simulation.
Learning Outcomes:On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an appropriate procedure for 'gowning' and 'gloving' in accordance with recommended standards of practice
- Tie a variety of reliable knots, including, surgical reef knots and the Aberdeen knot and tying at depth.
- Describe correct handling and use of surgical instruments.
- Suture a variety of tissues, including skin, bowel, vascular tissue and tendons effectively.
- Perform abscess drainage and contaminated wound debridement in accordance with the basic principles of wound management.
- Demonstrate safe fine tissue handling utilising small bowel, vascular and tendon models for basic anastomoses technique.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic diathermic technique.
- Demonstrate effective management of ergonomic issues commonly encountered in endoscopic surgery.
FY1 (6 months in a surgical training post is a pre-requisite), FY2, ST1/CT1 & ST2/CT2
Please click the dropdown menu to view the faculty lists from previous courses
Please click the dropdown menu to view the programmes for upcoming courses and from previous courses.
Please click the dropdown menu to view the feedback from previous courses
Pay by Bank TransferWe bank with
Please use the details furnished below to pay by bank transfer
|Account Name||Doctors Academy|
|Name of Bank||Barclays Bank, 121 Queen Street, Cardiff CF10 1SG, United Kingdom|
|If you are making a payment to our account from outside the UK, your bank will ask for our IBAN and Swift Code||IBAN: GB49 BARC 2018 1750 6716 73
SWIFT CODE: BARCGB22