Intercollegiate Basic Surgical Skills Course
14th and 15th April 2018
Education Centre, Christie Hospital, Manchester
The ethos of this Intercollegiate Basic Surgical Skills Course (BSSC) is to install core surgical skills at the very start of a surgeon's training by teaching the correct basic technique.
Junior Trainees pursuing a career in surgery are expected to be able to perform a range of basic surgical skills prior to commencing specialty surgical training. These skills are not specifically covered during their foundation or core training placements.
Aims & Objectives
The Basic Surgical Skills course has been running since 1994, with the involvement of all four UK and Ireland Colleges of Surgeons, and is designed to teach the essential basic technical skills required of a surgeon, instilling good practice at the early stages of training.
Participants are introduced to the principles underpinning the various techniques with individual tuition and under the expert supervision of consultant surgeons. Participants are assessed throughout the course and issues with a certificate upon successful completion.
The course is held over two days with a series of demonstrations and extensive hands on sessions. Techniques are practiced using a combination of prepared animal tissue, synthetic models and simulation.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an appropriate procedure for 'gowning' and 'gloving' in accordance with recommended standards of practice
- Tie a variety of reliable knots, including, surgical reef knots and the Aberdeen knot and tying at depth.
- Describe correct handling and use of surgical instruments.
- Suture a variety of tissues, including skin, bowel, vascular tissue and tendons effectively.
- Perform abscess drainage and contaminated wound debridement in accordance with the basic principles of wound management.
- Demonstrate safe fine tissue handling utilising small bowel, vascular and tendon models for basic anastomoses technique.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic diathermic technique.
- Demonstrate effective management of ergonomic issues commonly encountered in endoscopic surgery.
FY1 (6 months in a surgical training post is a pre-requisite), FY2, ST1/CT1 & ST2/CT2
|Places are currently available.|
|Dates||14th and 15th April 2018
14th and 15th July 2018
|Education Centre, Christie Hospital, Manchester|
|Course Fee||Normal Course Fee: £585.00
RCSEd Affiliate Members:£550.00
Previous Key Skills Course Attendees:£527.00
|Closing Date||Places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis and therefore we are unable to provide a precise closing date.|
|No of Places||20|
Downloads and Links
Details for Bank Transfer
- July 2018 launch
- April 2018 launch
- January 2018 launch
- July 2017 launch
- April 2017 launch
- January 2017 launch
- November 2016 launch
- July 2016 launch
- June 2016 launch
- March 2016 launch
- January 2016 launch
- September 2015 launch
- July 2015 launch
- June 2015 launch
- March 2015 launch
- September 2014 launch
- March 2014 launch