Future Surgeons: Key Skills
(For Medical Students and Foundation Year Trainees)
13th November 2020
14th November 2020
Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral
6 CPD CREDITS ARE AWARDED FOR ATTENDANCE AT THIS COURSE.
This one day Consultant-led course is specifically aimed at providing medical students in their clinical years and junior doctors with a structured programme to learn basic surgical skills and techniques that are common to all surgical practices. The course will use animal tissue and simulation techniques to teach the participants a variety of surgical skills and techniques.
Format and Objectives
This is a practical course delivered using a series of tutor demonstrations and hands-on sessions where you will work on animal tissue. You will be tutored and supervised by Consultant Surgeons from various disciplines.
On completion of the course, you should be able to: Demonstrate safe practice when gowning and gloving. Handle commonly used surgical instruments in a safe and effective manner. Create secure 'Reef' and 'Surgeons' knots. Pick up and safely drive a needle through tissue with accurate bite placement. Perform an interrupted suture to close a wound. Demonstrate the steps for excising a skin lesion under local anaesthesia. Excise a sebaceous cyst. Drain a superficial abscess. Perform the steps to debride a traumatic wound. Perform basic techniques used for endoscopy. Explain the principles of using safe diathermy.
Features & Highlights
- Tutored and supervised by Consultant Surgeons from various disciplines.
- Practical course with a high tutor-to-participant ratio.
- Delivered using a series of tutor demonstrations and hands-on sessions where participants work on animal tissue.
- An official course of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh specifically aimed at junior doctors intending to pursue a career in surgery.
- Certificate for portfolio from The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Doctors Academy.
On completion of the course, participants should be able to
- Demonstrate safe practice when gowning and gloving.
- Handle commonly used surgical instruments in a safe and effective manner.
- Create secure 'Reef' and 'Surgeons' knots.
- Pick up and safely drive a needle through tissue with accurate bite placement.
- Perform an interrupted suture to close a wound.
- Demonstrate the steps for excising a skin lesion under local anaesthesia.
- Excise a sebaceous cyst.
- Drain a superficial abscess.
- Perform the steps to debride a traumatic wound.
- Perform basic techniques used for laparoscopy.
- Explain the principles of using safe diathermy.
|Places are currently limited.
There are only couple of places remaining for this course. We have hence closed the online registration system. If you wish to secure one of the last places, please email us at email@example.com and we will suggest the way to complete registration, provided the place is still available.
|Date||13th November 2020
14th November 2020
|Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral|
|Course Fee||£ 95.00|
|Closing Date||Places will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis and therefore we are unable to provide a precise closing date.|
|No of Places||20|
Downloads and Links
- 16th November 2019 launch
- 15th November 2019 launch
- 7th April 2019 launch
- 6th April 2019 launch
- 24th November 2018 launch
- 23rd November 2018 launch
- May 2018 launch
- 5th March 2017 launch
- 4th March 2017 launch
- 26th November 2016 launch
- 25th November 2016 launch
- June 2014 launch
- May 2014 launch
- April 2013 launch
- January 2013 launch
- 2012-2013 launch